September 10, 2015

Outta My Mind

This original post was posted on my Facebook page on August 27, 2015.

Outta My Mind by Anthem Lights

This song has been popping up a lot lately. It fits so well with what I've been thinking. I don't know about any of you, but I tend to spend a lot of time psyching myself out. I think so much about any given thing that I freak myself out. I keep thinking to myself I gotta get out of my own head. I have to repeatedly remind myself that God is in control, and that He knows what He's doing, but there are times when it is so difficult to look past my current situation.
This song also reminds me of a Bible verse. 2 Corinthians 5:13: "If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you." I ran across this verse many years ago. When I first found it, I jokingly told my friends, it gave us permission to be weird. In reality it is talking about how the world views us Christians. We are told in the Bible that we are not of this world. This is not our permanent home. We should live like this is not our home. If we are truly living for Christ, we should be living differently from the rest of the world. They should look at us and wonder what is different in us; they should see a light in us that they don't see in the world. I think back on Jesus and all of His disciples, and it brings a smile to my face thinking how some people thought they were crazy. That is what this verse is talking about. I want my life to be like that too. I want to follow Jesus so closely that people think I'm crazy or "radical".
Father, I pray that I will always be able to keep my focus on You and not the things of this world. Let Your light shine through me to those around me. I pray that when people see me, they see hope; hope that comes only from You. Continue to use me as an encourager. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment