January 10, 2014

Motives

I have to tell you that I have really been questioning my motives lately.  I find myself doing things, and then, I wonder, “Why did I do that?” or “Why did I just say that?”.  I have been hearing a lot lately about how we should check our motives.  What are our motives for doing things?  Are the motives pure?  Are we doing these things because they are the right thing to do or are we doing them for selfish reasons?  Is what we are doing going to build somebody up or tear them down?  The Bible says:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. (Ephesians 4:29)

This verse can be very convicting at times.  I find myself saying things I probably shouldn't say either to tear somebody down or try to bring attention upon myself.  Neither one of those motives are right.  I'm not saying I beat myself up over wrong choices, but.. I believe God convicts us sometimes of things we need to change, and I know I need to evaluate my motives before doing and saying a lot of things.  Our focus should be more on what is pleasing to God and what will help others instead of how something will benefit us.  That's a really hard lesson to learn and even harder to live by, but it is something that is absolutely necessary.

If you have problems with wrong motives, know that you are not alone.  I struggle with this every day.  I pray that God will help us to think before speaking or doing so that everything we do and say will be for God's glory.

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.  Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God – even as I try to please everybody in every way.  For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.  (1 Corinthians 10: 31-33

No comments:

Post a Comment